How to become a licensed therapist in Colorado, CO
To become a licensed therapist in Colorado, CO, follow these steps:
1. Obtain a Bachelor's degree: You must have a Bachelor's degree in psychology or a related field to pursue a career in therapy.
2. Earn a Master's degree: You must have a Master's degree in counseling, psychology, or a related field from an accredited institution.
3. Complete supervised clinical experience: You must complete a minimum of 2,000 hours of supervised clinical experience, including 100 hours of direct supervision.
4. Pass the National Counselor Examination (NCE): You must pass the NCE, which is a national exam that tests your knowledge of counseling theories and practices.
5. Apply for licensure: You must apply for licensure with the Colorado State Board of Licensed Professional Counselor Examiners.
6. Complete continuing education: You must complete continuing education courses to maintain your license.
7. Obtain additional certifications: You may choose to obtain additional certifications in specific areas of counseling, such as addiction counseling or marriage and family therapy.
Note: The requirements for licensure may vary depending on the specific type of therapy you wish to practice. It is important to research the requirements for your desired field of practice.