How to become a licensed therapist in Delaware, DE
To become a licensed therapist in Delaware, DE, follow these steps:
1. Obtain a Bachelor's degree: You must have a Bachelor's degree in psychology or a related field from an accredited institution.
2. Earn a Master's degree: You must have a Master's degree in counseling, psychology, or a related field from an accredited institution.
3. Complete supervised clinical experience: You must complete a minimum of 3,000 hours of supervised clinical experience, with at least 1,500 hours of direct client contact.
4. Pass the National Counselor Examination (NCE): You must pass the NCE, which is administered by the National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC).
5. Apply for licensure: You must apply for licensure with the Delaware Board of Mental Health and Chemical Dependency Professionals.
6. Pass the Delaware Jurisprudence Exam: You must pass the Delaware Jurisprudence Exam, which tests your knowledge of Delaware laws and regulations related to mental health and chemical dependency.
7. Maintain licensure: You must renew your license every two years and complete continuing education requirements to maintain your license.
Note: The requirements for licensure may vary depending on the specific type of therapy you wish to practice. It is important to check with the Delaware Board of Mental Health and Chemical Dependency Professionals for specific requirements.