How to become a licensed therapist in Chicago
To become a licensed therapist in Chicago, you will need to follow these steps:
1. Obtain a Bachelor's degree: You will need to have a Bachelor's degree in psychology or a related field to pursue a career in therapy.
2. Earn a Master's degree: You will need to earn a Master's degree in counseling, psychology, or a related field from an accredited institution.
3. Complete supervised clinical experience: You will need to complete a certain number of supervised clinical hours, which can vary depending on the state's requirements.
4. Pass the National Counselor Examination (NCE): You will need to pass the NCE, which is a standardized exam that tests your knowledge and skills in counseling.
5. Apply for licensure: You will need to apply for licensure with the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation (IDFPR) and meet all the requirements, including completing a background check and paying the application fee.
6. Maintain licensure: You will need to maintain your licensure by completing continuing education courses and renewing your license every two years.
It's important to note that the requirements for licensure may vary depending on the type of therapy you want to practice. For example, if you want to become a marriage and family therapist, you will need to meet different requirements than if you want to become a licensed clinical social worker.